Executive Chef Gerard onboard Wind Surf shares his recipes for Chicken and Seafood Jambalaya, which is typically served during our onboard barbecue, and a refreshing Ti Punch, a traditional cocktail served in the French Caribbean. If you don’t have our Flavors of the Caribbean voyage booked already, this will definitely transport you there!
Chicken & Seafood Jambalaya
1 ½ lbs Chicken breast, cubed
8 oz Smoked sausage / chorizo, sliced
1 lbs Seafood (diced): prawns, squid, scallops
10 oz Spanish onions, chopped
4 oz Red / green peppers, chopped
1 tbsp Garlic cloves, minced
2 cups Long grain rice
16 oz Spicy tomato sauce
8 oz Whole peeled tomatoes, chopped
½ cup Scallions, chopped
2 tbsp Unsalted butter
½ tbsp Cayenne pepper
½ tsp Black pepper
2 tsp Cajun seasoning
Salt to taste
1. Cut chicken into cubes and season with salt, cayenne, Cajun and black pepper.
2. Brown chicken in large pan with melted butter (don’t cook all the way through as you will finish it later), add seafood and when cooked remove both from pan and reserve.
3. Sauté chopped onions, garlic and peppers in the same pan for about 5 minutes.
4. Add tomato sauce and tomatoes. Simmer on low heat for 5 minutes.
5. Add chicken back to the pan with sausage and cook until chicken is tender.
6. Cook until chicken is tender.
7. Add raw rice and minced scallions.
8. Stir ingredients constantly.
9. Cover with chicken stock 1 inch over top of ingredients, bring to a boil.
10. Simmer at low heat for 20-30 minutes until rice is cooked.
11. Add seafood back to the pan to warm and serve
Cane sugar, to taste
2 oz rum
1. Pour the cane sugar in glass.
2. Cut lime in quarter and mash it on the cane sugar.
3. Pour rum and add a few ice cubes.
4. Mix with love.
Discover the Flavors of the Caribbean with Windstar’s signature seven-day cruise departing St. Maarten and stopping in Philipsburg, Le Marin, Pigeon Island, Roseau, Les Saintes and Basseterre. In this single experience you’ll find the flavors, cultures, and colors of the Caribbean’s distinct and diverse heritage combine to delight all your senses. Sandy beaches, turquoise waters, lush mountains, and beautiful waterfalls blend with the music, tastes, and joie de vivre unique to the Caribbean life.
What dishes do you cook that transport you to another place and time?