“This cruise has it all. History and culture, shopping and sightseeing in St. Maarten, St. Kitts and St. Barthélemy, and relaxation on world-class beaches on Virgin Gorda and Jost Van Dyke.”
There’s a reason the rich and famous head to the British Virgin Islands when they want peace and privacy. These islands combine European sophistication with a casual laid-back attitude, plus some of the most stunning beaches in the Caribbean. Activities here prioritize recreation and relaxation over commercial amusements, and the islands are less developed than many – making this one of the world’s favorite yachting destinations and a perfect place to explore on one of Windstar’s unique small ships.
These craggy volcanic islands may be a bit sleepy, but with their lush rainforests, crescent beaches, and turquoise water, there are plenty of opportunities for adventure. Kayaking, sailing, wilderness hiking, and snorkeling are just a few of the ways to explore these bays and harbors, and you never know when you’ll encounter something unexpected. Even the largest of these islands has only 20,000 residents, so you can still find hidden beaches, protected coves, and secluded beach bars that are often accessible only by boat. And with Windstar’s Watersports Platform, you can enjoy this watery wonderland without ever going ashore.
• The Baths on Virgin Gorda are a must. Giant granite boulders form a series of plunge pools and hidden grottoes on the beach – one of the most scenic spots in the Caribbean.
• Since a volcano destroyed its capital in 1995, Montserrat has been mostly off the tourist radar. But not for lack of attractions. Rainforest still covers much of the island, and the abandoned buildings buried in ash are like visiting a modern Pompeii.
• Beach bars are synonymous with the Caribbean, but none are quite like those on Jost Van Dyke. If you visit the Soggy Dollar Bar you must try a Painkiller – a unique rum drink that also comes in a virgin version.
• St. Barts is known as the best shopping spot in the Caribbean, and one of the top ten shopping areas in the world. Shop for duty-free bargains on French perfume and liquor in Gustavia where you’ll also find designer boutiques like Cartier, Giorgio Armani, Louis Vuitton, Hermes, and Bulgari.
• If you’re into photography, take your camera for spectacular views found at UNESCO site Brimstone Hills Fortress National Park on St. Kitts and 1,716-foot high Sage Mountain amidst a tropical rainforest on Tortola