Roam between the broken monoliths and columns in the Roman Forum, Western Civilization’s former epicenter. Gaze across Catania’s umber-hued, terracotta-tiled skyline to the steaming summit of Mount Etna as you sample authentic Sicilian dishes like densely textured handmade pasta topped with aromatic variations like sundried tomatoes, golden-brown dried grapes, fresh basil and minced garlic. This exquisite cruise around Italy’s Apennine Peninsula is abundant in opportunities to explore the lesser-known landmarks and narrow ancient streets of sleepy villages throughout the central Mediterranean. Sip citrus-sweet limoncello from frosty glasses while locals haggle over the proximities of their bocce balls on nearby gravel courts. Land at the tiny port of Lipari in the Aeolian Islands north of Sicily, and explore a Norman Castle built in medieval times, or master the art of Sicilian-style pizzas as you combine local ingredients into your own culinary creation. Step inside the cool and shady Romanesque splendor of Kotor Cathedral in Montenegro, or venture to the nearby pedestrian-only village of Perast and sample sweets recreated from Baroque-era recipes. Capture the Old World ambiance of Split’s Diocletian Palace in the right light during a hands-on photo tour with an award-winning international photojournalist. Your delightful journey concludes in Venice among romantic gondolas and exquisite Italian architecture, where you can reflect on your cruise memories as you float canals or search for last-minute souvenirs small, family-owned artisan shops featuring handcrafted glassware and ornamental metalwork.
• Watch sunbeams from Michelangelo’s dome play on the walls of St. Peter’s Basilica in Rome
• Discover the magic of Venice's St. Mark's Square, Cathedral, and find time for a gondola ride in the Grand Canal
• Relive the Middle Ages as you view the historic tapestries and armor in UNESCO city Valletta’s Palace of the Grand Masters
• Have your camera ready as you cruise the beautiful narrow UNESCO site fjord to Kotor
• From Trapani travel to the medieval town of Erice and admire the Castle of Venus and the 700-year-old Mother Church
• From Porto Empedocle head to the ancient ruins at Agrigento, a UNESCO site
• Pack light with complimentary daily laundry service
*Rates shown are per person, based on double occupancy, reflect all discounts and include non-discountable amounts. Taxes, Fees & Port Expenses are additional.