Windstar welcomes service dogs individually trained to do work or perform tasks for the benefit of a person with a disability on its yachts, but we do not accept pets. Pets, or service dogs in training, are not allowed aboard. Service dogs are not considered pets. Emotional support dogs, which are not recognized by the Department of Justice, are not permitted on our yachts.
Rules for Service Dogs Onboard
- Service dogs are permitted to accompany a guest with a disability in all public areas. While in public areas, service dogs must be on a leash, harness, or other restraining device unless being tethered would interfere with the service dog's work or your disability. In that case, you must maintain control of the dog through voice, signal, or other effective controls. Due to health regulations, service dogs are not permitted in pools, whirlpools, or spas.
- Care and supervision of the service dog is the sole responsibility of the owner. The yachts and crewmembers are not required to provide food or care for the dog.
- If the guest chooses to disembark the yacht at a port at which the service dog must remain onboard, the guest must ensure that the dog is cared for. Note that the yacht's crewmembers are not required to care for the dog, nor can the dog be left in your cabin unattended.
- Guests are responsible for the behavior or damage caused by their service dog. A cleaning fee may be charged to the guest's account.
- If the service dog's behavior creates a fundamental alteration or a direct threat to the safety of others, the dog may be denied boarding or removed from the ship along with the owner at the guest's expense. Examples include, growling, barking excessively, initiating unsolicited contact, biting other guests and/or crewmembers, failure to use designated relief areas, sitting on furniture, eating from the table, etc.
You are responsible for ensuring compliance with these rules. Please make sure you have reviewed the procedures for disembarking your service dog in the applicable tendering port and your dog's documentation is correctly completed.
Please notify us at the time of booking but no later than 14 days prior to sailing if a service dog relief area is needed. Upon notification, we will provide a box with cypress mulch or turf to accommodate your service dog in a public space on the vessel.
Guests may bring a reasonable quantity of food and bowls for the dog onboard the ship. If refrigerated space is needed, notify us at the time of booking but no later than 14 days prior to sailing.
Guests are responsible for obtaining all required documents for your service dog to depart the yacht in all ports of call. A copy of these permits must be carried on the yacht, and a copy left with the Access Officer upon boarding the yacht. The documentation and immunization requirements are established by government authorities and not Windstar. Please note requirements are subject to change without notice.
So that we may provide you with any additional information you may need in order to sail with your working service dog and make arrangements in advance of your cruise, please contact us directly or have your travel agent contact us at email@example.com
or (855) 888-7785. We also ask you to complete the Guest Accommodation Request Form